Monday, February 4, 2008

Biblical Rhetoric, The Westboro Baptist Church, and Heath Ledger--oh my!

Hi everyone! I found this link over the weekend, and I thought I would share it so that we could deconstruct it's use of rhetoric. The saddest part of the link is that it isn't a joke. It was published by the Westboro Baptist Church, a group that makes "Repent America" look tame (these are the same people that protest at soldiers' funerals).

One of the many interesting things about this tract is that Heath Ledger wasn't even gay (to my knowledge, and I could be wrong because my knowledge of celebrities is severely lacking). Yes, he was in Brokeback Mountain, but as an actor. Hmm.

So, before I go into my deconstruction, any comments from the class?


2 comments:

Linda C. said...

I sadly have way too much knowledge about actors and their sex lives, and I think it's safe to say that he wasn't gay. He has a 2 year old daughter, for one thing.

lizknight said...

I am actually disgusted by the fact that this 'church' would picket heath ledger's funeral. I mean what exactly are they trying to prove? That he shouldn't be buried? And as for their email address... godhatesfags.com... seriously, what is wrong with these people? I don't even have anything intelligent to add... just wow.