Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Great poems

Thanks for all of these wonderful poems, but they're no substitute for three great hours spent with all of you on Wednesday afternoons ;-) Here is the poem I was going to give out today if the weather hadn't intervened. What do you think?

I ask the impossible

I ask the impossible: love me forever.
Love me when all desire is gone.
Love me with the single-mindedness of a monk.
When the world in its entirety,
And all that you hold sacred, advise you
Against it: love me still more.
When rage fills you and has no name: love me.
When each step from your door to your mob tires you
Love me: and from job to home again.

Love me when you’re bored
When every woman you see is more beautiful than the last,
Or more pathetic, love me as you always have:
Not as admirer or judge, but with
The compassion you save for yourself
In your solitude.

Love me as you relish your loneliness,
The anticipation of your death,
Mysteries of the flesh, as it tears and mends.
Love me as your most treasured childhood Memory
And if there is none to recall
Imagine one, place me there with you.
Love me withered as you loved me new.

Love me as if I were forever
And I will make the impossible
A simple act,
By loving you, loving you as I do.


Ana Castillo, 2000

5 comments:

Alana Knowles said...

Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could express myself so beautifully. That poem was so heartfelt and genuine. It was so emotional and touching. Truly amazing.

Linda C. said...

A male I know, who shall remain nameless (for now), says that this is a poem that only females can like. Women, ask your significant others what they think. And Stu and Jon, what are your opinions?

Lorrie said...

I could see how a male would say this is a poem only a woman can enjoy. No offense to the men who may be reading this, but stereotypically, in the relationship sense, men are more concerned with the here and now, not the "forever" aspect. So, to read a poem about the single-mindedness of a monk and the anticipation of death... probably produces quite the yawn(or freak out) for a guy.

I enjoyed the poem, it feels honest, whereas other love poems I've read feel fake or fluffed up. I feel like this would be a good wedding poem, mainly because of the forever aspect. It's very sincere and I like it.

I will show my boyfriend tonight and see what he thinks, but I can pretty much guarantee I'll get a shrug of the shoulders and a "It's....nice..."

Happy Valentines Day Everyone :)

Rhetorical Twist said...

I would like to second the "oh my God, that's so beautiful" sentiment. I can also imagine that many men don't like it, but let's not essentialize. I can think of a few guys who would probably agree with the sentiment. :-)

Dr. Cullum--I bet I can guess who it was :-)

Linda C. said...

Okay, since I had all of these extra copies of this poem (since I was going to give them out to you guys yesterday), I gave them to my Advanced Compers. and they HATED IT! Brianne is my witness. I'm so confused. Maybe it was just the vocal minority that swayed public opinion, but I'm so glad to hear that you all like it ;-) To each her own, but still...it's nice to know that someone agrees with my opinion!

p.s. me? essentialize? ;-)